Scoliosis propagates the spine to curve to the right, left, or both sides. Research estimates that about 6-9 million Americans are affected by scoliosis, accounting for 2-3% of the total population. People of all ages are vulnerable to scoliosis, but children and adolescents are the most susceptible to being diagnosed with scoliosis.
Scoliosis ranges from a purely cosmetic deformity to mild discomfort or life-threatening breathing complications with associated back pain. Fortunately, most cases are rectifiable. Have you or your child been diagnosed with scoliosis? Schedule an appointment with our chiropractic team at Haque Wellness Center in Livermore for effective relief from your scoliosis pain or discomfort. Our team offers pain relief for lower back pain, whiplash, scoliosis, and other conditions.
Causes of Scoliosis
The exact cause of scoliosis is not easily determined. However, people bearing a family history of scoliosis are more likely to suffer from this prevailing condition. Females are also more susceptible than males. Some identifiable common causes include:
- Muscular dystrophy: A group of genetic disorders that culminates into muscle weakness
- Congenital scoliosis: Congenital disabilities affect an infant's spinal bones, causing them to grow abnormally as the fetus develops, like spina bifida
- Cerebral palsy: A condition where a group of nervous system disorders disrupts learning, hearing, seeing, movement and thinking
- Specific genes: Researchers believe that at least one gene plays a vital role in the amplification of scoliosis.
- Syndromic Scoliosis: Scoliosis can develop as engulfment of a prevailing medical condition such as neurofibromatosis or Marfan's syndrome
- Osteoporosis: This condition can propagate secondary scoliosis as a result of bone degeneration.
- Other causes: carrying backpacks or suitcases, connective tissue disorders, and some injuries triggering spinal curvature
Symptoms of Scoliosis
There are versatile signs that may signal the possibility of scoliosis. These signs often include:
- Uneven waist
- Shoulders are not uniform
- Rib cages are at different heights
- The head is not centrally placed directly above the pelvis
- The entire body leans on one side
Chiropractic Treatment for Scoliosis
Chiropractic care helps relieve or mitigate pain and discomfort. Our chiropractic care is a non-drug, non-invasive treatment that helps in reducing pain by minimizing the pressure on the nervous system and strengthening the body cores suffering from scoliosis. In addition, chiropractic adjustments reduce joint restrictions or misalignments of the spine, hence suppressing inflammation and improving the function of both the nervous system and joints.
Contact Us for Pain Relief from Our Livermore Chiropractor
Are you or your child suffering from the excruciating pain of scoliosis in or around the Livermore area? Book an appointment with our chiropractor at Haque Wellness Center to find optimal relief. Our team is dedicated to providing our patients the care they need to live pain-free lives. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.