Tips & Tools
Dr. Anita Haque's Diet Friendly Lemonade
Several of my weight loss patients ask me what they drink or do in the summer time that will not blow their diet while their friends enjoy a summer beverage. So I had a couple of minutes so I wanted to share my tasty drink (lemonade)
- that helps you lose weight,
- keeps you hydrated
- keeps you full, and is
- healthy for you.
YOU definitely don’t get many drinks like that in the grocery store, but this one only requires a couple of ingredients, is sweetened by Stevia, and it’s something you can drink everyday.
If you like this post then you can check out more like this on our Facebook page or on our weight loss program by clicking here.
How You Can Quickly Relieve Mid Back Stiffness
I don’t know about you, but I often feel stiff in my mid back and in between my shoulder blades after I do paper work or sit at the computer. Luckily, as a practicing chiropractor in Livermore, CA my life’s work allows me to be moving around most of the day but I do have to sit down and get to my paperwork too! That is what lead me to making this quick video to share with you my 3 easy quick stretches that relieve the back from stiffness while sitting at the computer. Follow along and tell me if it helps!
How You Can Get Rid of Flabby Arms!
This week, after treating several female patients in my chiropractic office in Livermore, CA I asked Don from his personal training expertise what us women can do to try and get rid of the “flappy wings” that we HATE! He showed me an exercise which actually has been working great for me. I have been doing a set of 10 daily and I can already tell the difference in 2 weeks. Click the link to watch the exercise!
The Right Mattress For Back Pain
As a chiropractor in Livermore, I am asked daily about the right type of mattress to sleep on to relieve and help with back pain. That is why I wanted to share my insight and expertise to you today!
My opinion on this is not always shared with every other health professional and I am not in any way affiliated with any mattress companies to promote and/or endorse so this is strictly my feedback of what I feel is best and what I use at home.
The following list is what I do not believe to be a good a support for the spine and can eventually cause more weakness for the majority of people:
- Tempur-pedic Mattresses or any foam type of support is too soft and since it ‘hugs’ the spine and any misalignments that may be present sleeping on this type of mattress or pillow is not a good support.
- Foam mattresses or foam toppings- just like the tempur-pedic mattress (which is a type of foam), it doesn’t offer much support to the spine and over time will create more weakness of the spinal bones and tissues.
- Soft Mattresses or mattresses with a pillow top- just like the Tempur-pedic style of mattress or pillow, the softer the mattress the less the support on the spine. Although it may feel great at first over long periods of time most of my patients suffer with more back discomfort on a soft mattress.
The following mattresses are a better support and option:
- Sleep number- this mattress is a little pricey but I do think it is beneficial since it allows for the option to go really firm and softer based on needs and couples’ preferences without having to sleep on different beds in the home!
- Firm mattress- this is my number one choice for the support of the spine and also for the cost and value. The old myth of “if your back hurts sleep on the floor” does come from some truth. Most of my patients who complain of severe back pain and try sleeping on the floor feel better in the morning.
So the rule of thumb is this…the firmer the support, the better! I hope this helps you in buying the right type of mattress and in case you are still suffering with back pain feel free to contact me for more help!
3 Natural Ways To Cut Down Pain and Inflammation
Well Labor Day is already here.
With the long weekend coming up I wanted to share a quick tip of keeping inflammation away.
That’s an ouch type thing you know.
It can be chronic or acute, but it’s PAIN.
Here’s what I’ve noticed over the years.
So many patients over do stuff on long weekends and come in with aches and pains because of them being overactive.
So I figured I‘d share my (3) secret tips to saying goodbye to inflammation and keeping you feeling good for the upcoming holiday, from start to finish.
1. Ginger-ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory. In one of my last emails I sent over a lemon water drink that helps to cleanse the body. This time, add some fresh ginger to the lemon, you can even add some local honey which helps with allergies and drink it down. It helps the entire body with cleansing, tastes good, and keeps the swelling and pain down (if you have any).
2. Ice it-if you stay too long in the garden this weekend picking weeds and feel pain. Grab some ice and place it on your sore spot for 20 minutes! It works immediately and has no side effects. Maybe a little COLD at first, but once your skin adapts to it, it’s really going to feel good. I would put a thin t-shirt or something in between the ice bad and your skin just to make it a little nicer to your skin.
3. Eat some wild salmon. Oh yeah, some wild salmon. Wild fresh salmon has healthy omega 3 fatty acids that helps to decrease inflammation in our bodies and helps with keeping you slim too! (I love that part of the equation for sure.) Pair it with a fresh salad or veggies for a delicious, weight reducing, inflammation fighting meal!
Main thing: Be healthy, safe and have fun over the 3 day weekend and don’t forget we won’t be open on Monday!
Dr. Anita Haque
The Myths of Carbs and Fat
When I was talking to Don today from Don’s Lifestyle Fitness in Livermore, he was talking to one of his clients about carbs, and after she left,we had this little discussion.
Here’s what came out of that CARB discussion.
Breaking rules is fun, especially when it gives you the ability to eat your favorite great tasting foods and still quickly burn off your unsightly body fat.
I don’t know about you but when you start to AGE,you move slower.
You don’t go up stairs as quickly, and things just change.
You start moving slower, and that’s not really good.
The first thing we all learn about losing weight is that carbs will make you fat and must be avoided at all cost.
This is completely WRONG!
Now don’t get me wrong.
Eating a Snicker’s bar, going to Subway for a big sandwich, or drinking a soda which is loaded with sugar is not going to help you reduce your waistline.
I get that, but…
…you absolutely can (and MUST) eat carbs on a daily basis in order to lose fat and get your ideal body as fast as possible.
CARBS give you energy. If you think you can live without them, you’re WRONG. They’re good for you in the right
Yes, carbs CAN make you fat.
Carbs can add inches to your waistline.
Carbs can gum up the works, but you still need to eat them, but the RIGHT ONES. (Don’t forget. Whole fresh fruits and veggies are CARBS.)
But that’s no reason to jump to the extreme and eliminate CARBS completely, or even drastically reduce your intake of them, to lose unwanted body fat. Eat the right ones, at the right times, and you’re GOOD.
You just have to be smart about how you eat them (more on this in a moment).
Besides, any fat loss diet that isn’t sustainable is a recipe for failure, which is exactly what carb-restrictive diets are.
As I always say, the most important part of any diet is to choose one that you will actually DO!(With my program you know you’re going to lose weight if you follow the protocol.)
I don’t know about you, but I love eating carb-heavy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes,cereal and fruit… I could keep going, but I think you get the point.
But is there really a way to enjoy all of these great tasting foods on a daily basis while still losing body fat every week?
Not only is there a way to lose measurable amounts of fat each week while eating some good carbs every day,but you can actually use carbs to your ADVANTAGE by using a little known, science-backed liquid supplement that virtually eliminates the possibility of carbs making you gain fat.
If you want to know more, just make sure you stop by the office as soon as you can or contact me at [email protected]